Microsoft Dynamics Navision
An essential part of the Microsoft Enterprise Resource Planning software portfolio is Microsoft Dynamics Navision. The system has been devised keeping in view the requirements of medium and small businesses normally in supply chain and light manufacturing domains.
Pros of using Microsoft Dynamics Navision:
- With the help of integration to other systems, like MS Office, Sharepoint, Dynamics CRM, the system can easily be used for designing business processing and different forms of inputs, also works best when traditional paper documentation is needed, i.e., purchase order or sales order.
- For advanced level solution like PSA, i.e., Professional Service Automation, the add on can be added on to the core EPR solution to get vertical ERP solution. This consists of timesheet management, cost accounting resource management as well as inventory control process.
- For reducing training time and cost as well as better experience of the desktop user, overall feel and look of the Dynamic Navision can be edited.
- For midmarket companies, the ERP solution is an advanced management system which is highly valued, whereas for smaller companies it is said to have extensive range of functions. However, it requires less time for installation and is of high value for end user.
- For offering ERP solutions for vertical markets, there are certain add on in the system which come with spread deficient functionalities as well.
- There are some unique service management features available in the system which are best for providing after sales services and fulfilling customer demands. The warranty information is in line with inventory and manufacturing systems whereas service management helps inb tracking contracts either at the location of the consumers or at internal location for scheduling jobs well.
Cons of Microsoft Dynamics Navision:
- The life cycle of support services of Dynamic NAV is pretty limited. In case of overlapping functionality and advanced R&D, functions are absorbed in the Dynamic AX.
- Despite of being user friendly and having easy to use, Microsoft has so far not developed consumer technologies. At the same time Enterprise 2.0 and business tools are pretty limited and access to mobile is restricted to just cross browser support.
- TCO, i.e., Total cost of ownership of the advanced management system is higher when compared with the pack of business essential.
- With the help of software customization, Dynamic NAV can very well be extended to get customized ERP solution, but it can increase the overall cost of ownership, maintenance cost, software upgradation cost and will become more time consuming as well.
- There are number of third party add on available in the market for Microsoft NAV, but many come with overlapping facilities. Thus it becomes very time consuming to differentiate one add on from the other and evaluate the quality of the products.
- There is an advanced feature for support of process manufacturing. Whereas for the purpose of using process based automation system for manufacturing can put entire ERP software in challenge.
- Dynamic NAV doesn’t come with integrated business management system or automation tool. But using .NET it is possible to get yet another environment for development, such actions are very difficult to deal with.
Dynamic Microsoft Navision; Ideal solution for businesses:
Out of four main ERP solutions, Navision is one such business management system available in the market. Microsoft rebranded NAV in the year 2005 after doing some changes in the system, like Microsoft Business solutions, Navision Financials, Navision solutions and Navision Attain. ERP is the perfect business solution for all sizes of businesses, even for start-up and for those who have been operating since long. Certain key features of NAV are as follow:
- Phone sales
- Sales and marketing
- Point of sale
- Phone services
- HRM and payroll
- Supply chain and distribution management
- Analytics and business intelligence management
- Inventory management
Some features are explained in detail below:
- Warehouse Management:
Since many Singapore consumers are moving towards online shopping with the number estimated to become 4.1 million in the year 2021, thus offering greater market for warehouse management systems. When Navision is used in collaboration with warehouse management, information regarding order time, inventory left over, delivery progress can easily be monitored. This will make it easier for businesses to keep track of inventory on hand or required. It will also help businesses to plan effectively and manage inventory management efficiently.
- Business Analytics:
To track the performance of the business, analytics component as well as business intelligence system of NAV can help in better decision making for business. The available analytical tools by NAV are web based delivery, OLAP (Online Analytical Processing), graphic designer etc.
- Financial Management Systems:
The core purpose of any business is to earn profit. Be it product selling or service provision, overall number of consumers and return on investment is what is calculated at the end of the day. Thus, since the start of the business it is important to have proper financial management system. With NAV financial management system, one is able to cash flows, account payables, analytical accountings, inventory management and general ledger.
- Human Resource and Payroll:
For any business with higher number of employees, managing manual payroll is difficult. With NAV, all elements of human resources can be accommodated and managed effectively for small and large businesses. This will also increase the overall consumer satisfaction and ultimately productivity will also be enhanced.
- Mobile Services:
In case of no mobile services, managing number of transactions manually can prove to be very costly for the organization. With NAV mobile feature, timely information can be accessed and managed using the mobile phone. Employees as well as management can track and make timely decisions due to synchronization of the systems.
- Project Management:
In the absence of proper project management system, billing, budgeting and resource management system cannot be managed by any businesses. Even future projections, managing expenses and capacity planning can be effectively managed in case of efficient project management system.
For smooth working of the business operations, effective NAV ERP is the ultimate solution available for all sized businesses.